Sydney Water & Civil Works

Sydney Water Section 73 Minor and Major Works

Rab’s Plumbing Pty Ltd coordinates with Sydney Water to lodge applications for the clients, and then proceeds to design, develop/redevelop and manage the construction of the application. All documentation will be processed by Rab’s Plumbing to ensure all solutions are approved by Sydney Water and their requirements.

  • Accreditation

Sydney Water Section 73 Frequently Asked Questions

  • I’m planning to build, develop or subdivide – do I need a Sydney Water Section 73 Certificate?

    View Hide answer

    You may need a Section 73 Certificate if your development or subdivision will impact on Sydney Water’s systems. This can include:

    • creating a dual occupancy
    • subdividing land, or
    • constructing a residential, commercial or industrial building.

    You do not need a Section 73 Certificate if you are constructing a house which is replacing an existing dwelling or altering/extending a house (but you should get your building plans checked and stamped at a Sydney Water office).

  • What is a Section 73 certificate?

    View Hide answer

    A Section 73 certificate is Sydney Water’s confirmation that you have:

    • built works (e.g. extensions or amplifications to Sydney Water’s systems) to ensure your development has correctly sized water/sewer-mains available for connection. (A plumber can then connect your development to these mains)
    • paid any Sydney Water charges
    • completed any other requirements identified
  • How does this relate to my Development Application?

    View Hide answer

    Your local council requires a Development Application unless your proposal is classed as exempt. Most developments affect Sydney Water’s water and/or sewer systems and therefore require you to obtain a Section 73 Certificate. You will need to obtain your certificate where it is a condition of consent, along with meeting all other conditions of consent before you receive final council approval to occupy the building or register your subdivision at the Land Titles Office.

  • What does Sydney Water do once receiving a Section 73 Application?

    View Hide answer

    Once Sydney Water has received a Section 73 Application investigation takes place to determine the servicing needs of the subdivision or development. If there are any requirements, a response is then prepared by Sydney Water. The Developer is then advised through Sydney Water’s Notice of Requirements. Where Sydney Water finds there are no requirements, a Section 73 Certificate is issued to the Developer.

    However, where Requirements are defined, Officers of the Urban Development Business manage the Process for meeting those requirements and when these have been met the Section 73 Certificate is issued to the Developer.

  • How do I get a Section 73 Certificate?

    View Hide answer

    There are four steps to getting a Sydney Water Section 73 Certificate:

    Step 1 – Apply

    Your first step is to complete and send the Application Form along with:

    • A cheque for the current Section 73 Certificate application fee ($305 as at October 2000)
    • Two copies of the development/subdivision plan as approved by (or proposed to) council – scale must be 1:1000, showing area of each lot
    • A copy of your council’s Development Consent (if granted) – you may apply for a Section 73 Certificate before you have council Development Consent.

    If you plan an unsubdivided dual occupancy, you should consider requirements for future subdivision – this can avoid additional costs such as moving newly laid services.

    Step 2 – Receive notice of requirements

    You will receive Notice of Requirements.

    You will receive a Notice of Requirements specifying what you need to do to obtain your certificate. The notice will be based on an assessment of your proposal and its impact on Sydney Water’s systems and will specify:

    • works needed to ensure each lot in your development has a frontage to a water-main and a connection point to a sewer-main (private water/sewer house service lines in easements or joint service arrangements are not acceptable)
    • charges payable (see step 3).
    • any other requirements such as amplification or adjustment of the system or building over sewer protection.

    If works are required, an agreement covering the works will be included. You must sign this agreement and return both copies to Sydney Water.

    If you apply before receiving council consent, you will receive a ‘Letter Pending Development’, identifying what to do if council approves your application.

    Step 3 – Pay charges and build works

    Charges may include:

    • developer charges
    • contract administration fees
    • reticulation recovery fees (your contribution towards reticulation works benefiting your development already provided by Sydney Water or another developer).

    If works need to be built:

    You must engage a Sydney Water accredited contractor to carry out the works at your cost. Once works are completed satisfactorily, they are taken over as part of the Sydney Water system.

    If works affect adjacent properties, your accredited contractor should negotiate access. You may need to pay compensation and/or look at ways to minimise impact. Allow considerable time for this process.

    Step 4 – Receive Section 73 Certificate

    Once all requirements have been met, Sydney Water will send you a Section 73 Certificate. You can then provide a copy of this to council.

  • How long will it take to get my Certificate?

    View Hide answer

    After applying for a Section 73 Certificate you will first receive a Notice of Requirements, which will provide you with details of what you need to do before Sydney Water will give you the Certificate.

    Our Notice of Requirements letter is generally issued within 21 days of receiving your application (may be longer if the development is complex). For speedy processing please ensure the application fee and all documents needed are sent with your application.

    If water/sewer mains need to be constructed, your Certificate cannot be issued until these mains are completed and handed over to Sydney Water.

  • Are there any other costs?

    View Hide answer

    Other Sydney Water fees you may need to pay include:

    • Fees for checking building plans for building over/adjacent to sewer requirements
    • Plumbing and drainage inspection and connection fees
    • Sydney Water trade waste charges
    • Fees for assessing water mains for fire fighting capabilities

Civil Works

Rab’s Civil Pty Ltd, is the Civil works branch of Rab’s Plumbing Services. We can provide a service from the design phase to job completion for Sydney Water Section 73 projects.

We have the ability to complete projects such as sewer encasements and diversions, manhole renewals, civil infrastructure, main water tapping services, main water diversions and all minor/major Sydney Water Section 73 projects. Rab’s Civil Pty Ltd can also reinstate the worksite back to its pre-construction state, such as through bulk excavation, pavement, asphalt, footpath and concreting. We also provide planned drawings which include survey, civil/contour and construction drawings.

Rab’s Civil Pty Ltd has an array of experienced excavator drivers and project managers with qualifications who pride themselves on achieving the best possible outcome for all clients, within a timely manner. As well as providing experienced personnel and management, Rab’s Civil Pty Ltd ensures all our accreditation is to the highest standard with recognised Globalmark Quality, Environmental and OHS guidelines. We are independently audited on a regular basis and guarantee transparency in our systems,  ensuring client satisfaction.